In the previous post I showed how I built this tall antenna and was all excited. Well it didn’t work as planned. Initial testing showed that the receivers I was trying to use from foxtechfpv.com were junk. I have three of them and all of them produced static lines in the video so bad you couldn’t make out what was going on. Connecting the new patch antenna directly to the goggles proved to be much better..
The next day I went to the park to test everything in a much more open area. I learned more. One thing I learned was that even though my booster for my radio is 1w (1000mw) it wasn’t enough to push the signal through 6′ of antenna cable. The radio by itself was also not enough power to push the signal through 6′ of cable to get a strong signal to the booster. So radio range ended up being no different. Serious let down. I thought I had it whooped! (<- Texan thing.. lol) As for the video side I tried the patch directly on the goggles, the extension cable from goggles to the patch and several other combinations only to find that a regular old stick antenna did a better job.. So it was back to the drawing board…
After a few phone calls and a couple hours of research I figured things out a little better. First off new antennas arrived from http://www.readymaderc.com . The new antennas are the immersion rc circular polarized antennas BUT these have a plastic dome over the actual antenna so no more broken lobes on my cloverleafs! See the picture below. So Installed these on the goggles and the truck. As for the radio I mounted everything directly on the radio. I robbed the CCBEC from the wiring harness on the antenna system in the previous post to power the booster. See the pics below.
The end result was almost 1600′ distance. I was very pleased. I could have went farther but I knew there was construction on the trail in front of me and didn’t want to fall in an unsuspecting hole or whatever. So I turned around and came back. The video is below if you want to watch it. It is a bit boring but it is what it is.Last night I also installed a Schwinn cyclometer. It records max speed, average speed, distance traveled, overall distance and time of ride. For $10usd it is a cheap way to get some feedback. I’m also curious how much mileage I put on the Summit, a figure I have never thought about with an RC car.
So basically you don’t need a ton of special equipment to get decent range. I have some other things to test later but for now I am happy. This same system will transfer over to the multi rotors as well and hopefully allow me to fly higher and farther than before.